We had a craving to make a small butter cookie, but really wanting chocolate in the recipe, and these were perfect. What I really like is how versatile the finished cookie is, so I added ideas below. I decided that I’d call the recipe salted caramel chocolate butter cookies.
Salted Caramel Chocolate Butter Cookies
In this chocolate butter batter you will mix the cocoa with some butter and make a paste. I found the melted butter with the cocoa powder releases a wonderful chocolate flavor when it’s done this way.
Beat Butter, Yolks and Sugar with Chocolate Paste
Leaving out the egg whites and using yolks only will help the cookie stay moist and chewy. Beat butter, sugar and chocolate paste until fluffy. Then add egg yolks and extract, beat again.
Add Flour to the Cookie Base
Add the flour one cup at a time, making sure the flour is incorporated but don’t over mix, then turn the chocolate dough out onto parchment paper. Form and shape the dough into an even log.
Make 3 Even Chocolate Logs
Now cut the dough into 3 even pieces. Shape and roll a 13-14″ log. Make 2 more chocolate logs. Wrap each log in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
Slice and Bake the Chocolate Butter Cookies
Unwrap one log and cut 3/8″ slices. Bake. Check at 8 minutes for slight resistance on top. It can be hard to tell if the chocolate cookie is being over baked, but checking for spring back at 8 minutes worked perfect.
Chocolate Butter Dough – A Versatile Cookie
This is a perfect chocolate cookie. If salted caramel isn’t your thing, try vanilla glaze with peppermint, or even the perfect maple glaze we used on our brown sugar cookies, and substitute the extract. I can think coffee extract or chocolate extract would be delicious. I even thought that slicing them thinner would make a perfect chocolate wafer. (Reduce cooking time if you try that!)
These little chocolate butter cookies are delicious and versatile! You can top them differently making a variety of cookie gems.
2 1/2 sticks of butter
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 large egg yolks
1 tbsp. extract (espresso, chocolate OR vanilla)
2 1/4 c. unbleached all purpose flour
1 package Nestle Caramel bits
Flaked sea salt
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Use a silcone liner or line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt 4 Tbsp. of butter and stir in the cocoa powder until smooth. Cool.
- Mix remaining 2 sticks of softened butter, sugar, salt and cocoa mixture until fluffy.
- Add egg yolks and extract.
- Add the flour 1 cup at a time.
- Mix only until you’re able to turn out onto parchment.
- Make a ball and cut in half.
- Roll into 1″ logs, wrap tight in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Slice and put on silicone or parchment.
- Bake – check after 8 minutes, bake up to 10 minutes. There should be a slight spring back to note when done.
- Melt caramel bits according to the package. Smooth over cookie and sprinkle with flaked sea salt.
Keywords: chocolate butter cookie, peppermint butter cookie, chocolate cookie dough