October is my favorite month of the year. Chilis and soups go with October like peanut butter and jelly. I’ll pretend that we aren’t having a warm streak as I say that. I have made this white chicken chili twice in the last week and a half, it is so good!
I love two things about this white chicken chili. First, it has some special, not so secret ingredients that make this white chicken chili the best I’ve ever made: cilantro and cream cheese. Honestly, the last white chicken chili recipe I remember making was thickened with flour and didn’t have a lot of flavor. Not impressed at all.
Second, it makes a GREAT crockpot-ready meal for the freezer and also a wonderful crockpot meal for company. I talked about how to make better freezer meals a while back, and this meal is being added to my list of great freezer meals. *See freezer meal instructions below. The ingredients can be measured into a freezer bag and frozen for later. Perfect!
White Chicken Chili
This recipe serves about 8. I cut this recipe in half for our little family, and if you are a big family, double or triple the recipe. I have written this as a crockpot recipe, but you can also slow-simmer on the stovetop as well. In the picture below, I used chicken that I had precooked and shredded.
Freezer Meal Instructions: If you are making this as a freezer meal, I recommend using cooked chicken. Boil chicken with salt, pepper and cumin until soft and falling apart. Shred chicken with a fork and then add to your freezer bag with the remaining ingredients, except the cream cheese and cheddar cheese, add these in the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- 6 chicken breasts (4 if they are very large)
- 2 15 oz. cans white navy beans
- 2 10 oz. cans green enchilada sauce
- 2 small cans chopped green chilis
- 1 10 oz. bag frozen corn
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 full bunch of fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced (I love using jarred minced garlic, fast and yummy!)
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1 c. cheddar cheese
- Crock Pot Method:
- Combine all ingredients in a crockpot. Cover and cook on high for 7 hours. Chicken should be soft enough to shred with a fork. During the last 30 minutes of cooking, add the cream shredded cheddar and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stove Method:
- Roast chicken, and chop. Saute onions and garlic. Add chopped chicken and remaining ingredients. Add cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and salt and pepper to taste the last 30 minutes.
- Serve with chopped fresh green onions and tortilla chips. Delicious!
Cover and cook on high for 7 hours. Chicken should be soft enough to shred with a fork. During the last 30 minutes of cooking, add:
1 8 oz. package cream cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
season with salt and pepper to taste
Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, chopped fresh green onions and tortilla chips. So delicious!
Happy Fall! ~ Jessica
Something for dessert?
Salted Peanut Bars, click here for the recipe!
Child of God, Wife to Josh, Mommy to my four sweet children. Thankful for busy days filled with homeschooling, homemaking and loving my little family! And sneaking in sewing and pattern design whenever I can 🙂